Observing Ramadan At Home
Community is an important part of Ramadan, and Muslims around the world are going online to share and celebrate safely
As we complete the second week of Ramadan, millions around the world are partaking in reflection, fasting and prayer in a very different way than in years past. Faith communities are finding new ways to celebrate safely in order to reduce the spread of COVID-19 within their communities.
During these testing times, its incredibly important for us to continue to connect with each other and feel part of our wider communities, even from home. Community is an important part of Ramadan, and Muslims around the world are going online to share and celebrate safely while staying at home.
To assist faith organizations everywhere who may be new to online services, YouTube has put together helpful information to get started with live streaming. Please visit our Playlist and Help Center for best practices, or check out instructions for hosting a live stream event either from a mobile device or desktop.
YouTube is also home to a wide range of Ramadan content for the coming weeks. From Sahur (pre-dawn meal) and Iftar (breaking of fast) activities, to faithful fashion to live streams of religious ceremonies, check out our Ramadan #WithMe playlist for the latest.
YouTube Ramadan highlights from Malaysia and across the globe:
- JAKIM, Malaysias Department of Islamic Development, plans to air daily live streams of Quran recitals, talk shows featuring religious leaders in Malaysia, and tutorials on how to perform Ramadan rituals on their YouTube channel.
- Local TV networks TV3 and TV9 by Media Prima, broadcast channels like Astro Ceria, My Salam Muslim, Astro Gempak, TV Al-Hijrah and Radio Televisyen Malaysia are uploading various Ramadan-related talk shows, documentaries, dramas and telemovies throughout the Ramadan & Raya period.
- Malaysias pop queen Dato’ Siti Nurhaliza, singer and TV personality Alif Satar, comedic sketch masters Sterk Production and many other local content creators will be sharing daily videos around food, religion, entertainment and more in our curated Ramadan #WithMe playlist.
Elsewhere around the world:
- Daily prayer services from Mecca and Madinah are being live streamed from SaudiQuranTV and haraiminfo.
- Major TV networks, TRANS7 and MetroTV will launch a series of shows and news segments focusing on entertaining, informing, and educating viewers on Ramadan topics – from breaking fast, Sahur, family life, and caring for the needy during this challenging time. Music label 3D Entertainment recently released Ramadan Berkah to celebrate the Holy Month, while NAGASWARA will publish ten episodes of Ramadan acoustic music sessions.
- Singapore-based channel, Muslim.Sg offers you content you can binge-watch from the comfort of your own home: weekly talk shows with Asatizah Youth Network, religious teachers answer the most Googled questions on Ramadan, and a moving short film about celebrating Hari Raya (Eid) amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Aysha Harun, an LA-based hijabi fashion and beauty vlogger, will mark the third year of her annual Ramadan Daily series, giving viewers a glimpse into her everyday life with family and Iftar preparations.
- The Saudi Reporters are one of the oldest and most successful creators in Saudi Arabia. From sketches and competitions, to comedy series and vlogs, they bring laughter to millions of views across the globe, through their videos. This year they will be releasing the second season of their animation series Boody and Zozo.
- Dina Tokio is a UK-based stylist who began vlogging while working in a call centre. Today, she has her own clothing line and is one of the most high profile modest fashion influencers in the world. As a proud member of the Muslim community, Dina will be posting Ramavlogs as often possible during the month, including plans to host a live Iftar once a week on YouTube with her husband Sid.
- Turkish chef, TV presenter, and food columnist, Refika Birgül, is planning several Ramadan content for both her Turkish and English channels, including how to set the dream Iftar table, a Ramadan recipe series, and much more.
- Anas and Asala, known as the Anasala Family, are a young Syrian couple, living in Canada, who vlog about daily life as Arabs in the Western world. This Ramadan, they will be releasing a series of videos about what its like to experience Ramadan under quarantine.
Top trending Ramadan-related videos on YouTube Malaysia
With Malaysians spending most of their time at home adhering to the Movement Control Order, many have turned to YouTube to source for content related to the Ramadan season. Below are some of the trending terms with its most popular videos.
Searches for Ghazal on YouTube have increased by 400% compared to the last 12 months. Some of the most popular Ghazal videos in Malaysia over the past month are:
- Makan Sireh (Ghazal) cover by Rojer Kajol feat OMG PDRM
- Laksamana Bentan (Ghazal) cover by Duo Branak ~ M Karim & Rojer Kajol
- Ratapan Hati (Ghazal) cover by Sri Rojer Solo ~ Rojer Kajol
- Selamat Berhari Raya Akustik cover by Balle Balle Malaysia (Ghazal)
- Latihan Nasyid Ghazal Malaysia part 1
Searches for Ramadan on YouTube have also increased significantly compared to the last 12 months by 300%. The more popular Ramadan-related videos in Malaysia over the last month consist of:
- Maher Zain – Ramadan (Malay/Bahasa Version) | Official Music Video
- John Cena Buat Hal Di Bazaar Ramadan! – GTA Ramadan Special (Bahasa Malaysia)
- Pertama Kali Puasa Tiada Bazaar Ramadan! – GTA 5 Ramadan Special” (Bahasa Malaysia)
- Orang Puasa 16 Jam! Aku Puasa 24 Jam! – GTA 5 Ramadan Special” (Bahasa Malaysia)
- Mayat Lari Daripada Van Jenazah! – GTA 5 Ramadan Special” (Bahasa Malaysia)
Lastly, searches for resepi berbuka puasa on YouTube have increased by 1,350% compared to the last 12 months. Some of the more popular videos include:
- Menu berbuka buat Tau Fu Fa dari air soya kotak
- Resepi Kuih Bingka Pandan Paling Mudah dan Dijamin Menjadi | Menu Berbuka Puasa
- Seminit Resepi: Roti Jala Rose
- Resepi Roti John | Tiada Bazar ramadhan 2020 | Duduk di rumah
- Nasi Tomato Ayam Masak Merah | Resepi Mudah Buka Puasa | Destinasi TV
We wish you and your family a safe, healthy, and blessed Ramadan. Stay home, and stay safe!